Where it is possible, we collect your personal information directly from you in person, in writing, over the telephone, by facsimile, through our or our agents’ and partners’ online services and website forms and/or by electronic messages including email and SMS. In some circumstances, we may also collect it from:
· your agents or representatives, for example your insurance broker, your legal advisers, your family members or travelling companions who act on your behalf or who apply for a travel or other insurance policy or other services that cover or apply to you, or from other persons authorised by you to deal with us;
· third parties who you have asked or permitted to provide your personal information (including sensitive information) to us, including your referees, universities and other educational institutions that you attend, doctors, hospitals, your vet in the case of pet insurance and medical assistance providers;
· third parties from whom you purchase goods and services including insurers, and other entities who engage us to provide or offer additional products and services such as ticket insurance;
· our agents (including travel agents) and service providers, some of whom are located in countries other than New Zealand;
· insurers and the Insurance Claims Register;
· people who are involved in a claim or assist us in assessing, investigating, processing or settling claims, including third parties claiming under your policy, witnesses, medical service providers, external claims data collectors and verifiers, and your employer;
· third parties who may be arranging insurance cover for a group that you are a part of;
· law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory and regulatory bodies;
· marketing organisations, including through the use of purchased lists;
· industry databases;
· publicly available sources such as the Internet and telephone directories; and/or
· the general public when it is unsolicited and may be relevant to a particular policy, service, or fraud investigation.
Unless we are required or permitted by law to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so where you have given consent.
The collection of information is required pursuant to the common law duty to disclose all material facts relevant to the insurance sought and is mandatory. If you do not agree to the above or will not provide us with personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our services or products, process your application, issue you with a policy or process your claims.
If you decide to complete or partially complete an online application form, where permitted by law, the information that you enter into the online form may be used by us to contact you to see if you are interested in our products or services.
We record telephone calls for administration and quality assurance purposes. If you do not want your call or personal information recorded, please advise us and we will attempt to make alternate arrangements suitable to you.