Information about Coronavirus
As of 14 June 2021, this event is continuing to develop and affect travellers.
In late December 2019, authorities identified an outbreak of a new type of Novel coronavirus (COVID-19), (“Coronavirus”), which has since tragically resulted in the loss of life.
On 11 March 2020, the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared Coronavirus a Pandemic. On 18 March 2020, the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) advised Australians not to travel overseas. Some Australian states and territories have since imposed various border control procedures that restrict interstate travel.
The Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) advised that quarantine-free travel from some Australian states is available. We would like to advise all travellers to refer to the smartraveller website for more information.
We would like to advise all travellers to exercise a high degree of caution, closely watch local media and emergency services and the DFAT smartraveller website. If you have travelled to an affected area and have developed symptoms of respiratory illness, seek medical attention urgently.
If you are looking for information about the impact of COVID-19 on our travel insurance, read our FAQs.
If you are currently travelling:
As a provider of assistance services, it is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- If you have been affected as a result of COVID-19 and require medical assistance, please contact our Emergency Assistance team on +61 7 3305 7499.
- If your travel arrangements have been affected by this event, you may wish to contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option for altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements.
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements have been affected and you have a travel insurance policy that does not exclude claims arising from an epidemic or pandemic or government warnings and government restrictions, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Please ensure you keep all receipts and proof of purchases to submit with your claim.
- Please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complimentary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- If you have any queries about your policy benefits, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154.
- Keep up to date on advice from travel providers by visiting their websites directly.
- Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by DFAT via its website gov.au. Always monitor the media and other sources about possible new health and security risks.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled as a result of COVID-19 and you have a travel insurance policy that does not exclude claims arising from an epidemic or pandemic or government warnings and government restrictions, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or re-arrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser). Please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complimentary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, including any applicable general exclusion(s).
- Please contact your travel agent or travel provider for information about the best options for altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and we recommend you contact them for further details. Contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
If you entered into a policy for travel after 6:00pm AEST, 31 January 2020
If you entered into a policy after the date and time listed above, we expect that you would have an awareness of COVID-19 and the possibility of issues arising which could affect travel. For these policies, claims that arise due to COVID-19 (for example, flight delays or cancellations) will be assessed in accordance with your policy wording, but exclusions and limits on cover may apply, depending upon the circumstances.
Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances. We encourage travellers to read their travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and/or Credit Card complimentary insurance booklet to understand what they are covered for, and any limits and exclusions that apply. A general exclusion for losses arising out of epidemics and/or pandemics or government warnings and government restrictions may apply.
We will assess all claims in accordance with your PDS and Certificate of Insurance. For complimentary travel insurance, we will assess all claims in accordance with the current information booklet for your credit card.
Making a Claim
Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses you incur. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses, you will need to submit documents showing what your original pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
Where possible, ensure any replacement accommodation and additional expenses are of a similar standard to that which you had planned and pre-paid.
Please note that any compensation and/or refunds you receive from a third party (e.g. airline) for transport, food or accommodation, will be deducted if your claim is accepted.
Make your claim online at www.travelclaims.com.au
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154.