CLOSED: 27.02.2020 Information about Bush Fires, Australia
If you are currently travelling:
From November 2019, active bush fires have been burning throughout Australia. The bush fires have resulted in damage to land and dwellings and in road closures across Australia. If you are travelling near the affected areas, we recommend that you contact family and friends to confirm you’re safe. We recommend customers follow the news and listen to the instructions of local authorities.
The Bush Fires across Australia have tragically resulted in loss of life. We express our deepest sympathies for the families and individuals involved in these incidents.
Allianz Global Assistance has a long history of providing Australians with travel insurance. For customers with specific policy questions, our customer service agents can help them understand the benefits afforded by their policy, and where exclusions and limits may apply, by contacting 1800 420 031.
The following advice is for customers who are currently travelling or with upcoming journeys in Australia in bushfire prone areas or where there are currently active bushfires.
As a provider of assistance services, it is always our priority to assist our customers where possible and within our ability to do so.
- Please make yourself aware of the advice issued by your local Rural Fire Service or State Government Agency via their website. Always monitor the media and other sources about possible new security risks.
- If you have been affected as a result of bushfires in Australia and require assistance, please contact our Emergency Assistance team by speaking to your local operator, ask to be put through reverse charge to +61 7 3305 7499. You can also dial +61 7 3305 7499 directly.
- If your travel arrangements have been affected by this event, we firstly recommend contacting your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option for altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements.
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements have been affected and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements, you may be able to claim for additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Please ensure you keep all receipts and proof of purchases to submit with your claim. All claims are reviewed based on the circumstances of the claim in conjunction with the policy terms and conditions, limits, Benefit Exclusions and General Exclusions. Customers are encouraged to refer to the terms and conditions outlined in the PDS.
- Please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complimentary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- If you have any queries about your policy benefits, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154.
- Keep up to date on advice from travel providers by visiting their websites directly.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled as a result of the Bush Fires and you have a travel insurance policy that provides coverage for delays or cancellation of travel arrangements, you may be able to make a claim for cancellation or re-arrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser). Please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement and/or Credit Card complimentary insurance booklet for the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply.
- We recommend you contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option for altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and we recommend you contact them for further details. Contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154 if you would like to clarify your policy entitlements.
If you entered into a policy after 3pm AEST, 2 January 2020:
- If you entered into a policy after 3pm AEST, 2 January 2020, we would expect that you would have an awareness of the Bush Fires and the possibility of issues arising which could affect travel. For these policies, claims that arise due to the Bush Fires (for example, flight delays or cancellations) will be assessed in accordance with your policy wording, but exclusions or limits on cover may apply, depending upon the circumstances.
- Policy coverage and benefits vary based on individual circumstances. We encourage travellers to read their travel insurance Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and/or Credit Card complimentary insurance booklet to understand what they are covered for, and any limits and exclusions that apply.
- We will assess all claims in accordance with your PDS and Certificate of Insurance. For complimentary travel insurance, we will assess all claims in accordance with the current information booklet for your credit card.
Making a Claim
Keep all receipts for any additional transport, food or accommodation expenses you incur. If you are claiming cancellation or additional expenses, you will need to submit documents showing what your original pre-paid arrangements were, along with any receipts and documents showing your new arrangements, and advice from the travel provider indicating the non-refundable portion of the journey.
Where possible, ensure any replacement accommodation and additional expenses are of a similar standard to that which you had planned and pre-paid.
Please note that any compensation and/or refunds you receive from a third party (e.g. airline) for transport, food or accommodation, will be deducted if your claim is accepted.
Make your claim online at www.travelclaims.com.au
- If you have any general queries, please contact our Allianz Global Assistance Information Hotline on 1300 725 154.