We care about your personal data
Who is the data controller?
What personal data will be collected?
Depending on the top of insurance product or service we provide to you, we will collect and process various types of personal data about you:
Warranty and Roadside Assistance
Mobile Device and Retail Product Insurance
Third Party Rental Electric Bicycle and Electric Scooter
How we will obtain and use your personal data?
We do not need your express consent to carry out the following:
- The administration of products (for example, providing quotes, underwriting, sending details of cover, handling claims).
- To administer debt recovery
- Fraud prevention and detection
- To meet any legal obligations (e.g. regulatory, tax, accounting and administrative obligations)
- To redistribute risk by means of reinsurance and co-insurance
- To enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services / communications for the benefit of our customers
- To enhance the security of our networks and information systems
- To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising.
We do need your express consent to better understand how people interact with our websites.
From time to time we may wish to inform you, or permit Allianz Group companies and selected third parties to inform you about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you, in accordance with your marketing preferences. However, we can only do this with your express, written consent or on the basis of legitimate interests. You can change your mind about this at any time by contact us at any time by contacting us as set out below.
We will process personal data we receive about you from third parties such as brokers and business partners, other insurers and fraud prevention agenciees.
We will process your personal data where it is necessary for us to comply with our contractual obligations to you, or where we need to take pre-contractual steps at your request.
We will process your personal data where necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests. "Legitimate interests" means the interests of our company in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best service/products and the best and most secure experience. For example, we may process your information to invite you to renew your policy upon expiry or protect you against fraud when transacting on our website and to ensure that our websites and systems are secure. When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we make sure that we consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests. We will not use your personal data where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we are required to do so by law).
Special category data is personal data which is regarded as more sensitive and so needs greater protection, such as medical records. In the event of a medical emergency, claims under our Travel products, or in the event of a personal accident claim under our Third Party Insurance, we may need to share this information with selected third parties such as doctors and hospitals. In such circumstances, where necessary to protect your health, we will process and share such data either with your explicit consent or, where this is not possible, we will do so in order to protect your vital interests or on the basis that processing is in the substantial public interest.
CCTV cameras are in operation at our offices for health and safety, prevention of crime and prevention of damage to our building and company assets. We may collect video recordings and still pictures which feature you if you are in the field of vision of our CCTV system. These images are only held for a period of ninety days.
Who will have access to your personal data?
We will ensure that your personal data is processed in a manner that is compatible with the purposes indicated above.
For the reasons stated above, your personal data may be disclosed to the following parties who operate as third party data controllers depending on the type of policy you have bought from us.
- Other Allianz Group companies, industry governing bodies, regulations, fraud prevention agencies and claims databases, for underwriting and fraud prevention purposes.
- The manufacturer of your vehicle and their franchised dealers, authorised repairers and vehicle recovery operators.
- The manufacturer of your mobile device and their franchised dealers and authorised repairers.
- Retailers of insured products.
- Doctors and other health professionals concerning your medical conditions, in the event of a medical emergency, or a personal accident.
- Airline companies in the event of a repatriation.
For the reasons stated above, we may also share your personal data with the following who act as data processors under our instruction:
- Other Allianz Group companies; experts such as technical consultants, lawyers and loss adjustors; repairers, taxi companies and car hire companies in the event of a claim under our warranty or roadside assistance products; ticket sellers under our event cancellation products; homecare providers under our homecare home emergency products; third party repairers in respect of our appliance protection products; service companies to discharge operations (claims, IT, postal, document management); and
- Advertisers and advertising networks to send you marketing communications, as permitted under local law and in accordance with your communication preferences. We do not share your personal data with non-affiliated third parties for marketing purposes without your permission.
Finally, we may share your personal data in the following instances:
- In the event of any contemplated or actual reorganisation, merger, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in any insolvency or similar proceedings); and
- To meet any legal obligations, including to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman if you make a complaint about the product or service we have provided to you.
Where will your personal data be processed?
What are your rights in respect to your personal data?
Where permitted by applicable law or regulation, you have the right to:
- Access the personal data held about you and to learn the origin of the data, the purposes and ends of the processing, the details of the data controller(s), the data processor(s) and the parties to whom the data may be disclosed;
- Withdraw your consent at any time where your personal data is processed with your consent;
- Update or correct our personal data so that it is always accurate;
- Delete your personal data from our records if it is no longer needed for the purposes indicated above;
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, for example where you have contested the accuracy of your personal data, for the period enabling us to verify its accuracy;
- Obtain your personal data in an electronic format for you or for your new insurer;
- File a complaint with us and/or the Data Protection Commissioner.
You may exercise this right in the same manner as for your other rights indicated in the section above.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We will retain your personal data for a maximum of seven years from the data the insurance relatinoship ends. If we are able to do so we will delete or anonymise certain areas of your personal data as soon as that information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was obtained.
Automoted decision making, inlcuding profiling
We may use automated decision making, including profiling, to assess insurance risks, detect fraud, and administer your policy. This helps us to decide whether to offer the insurance and determine prices.
For example, with medical screening, we ask customers to respond to a series of medical questions. This then determines whether the customer is accepted or rejected for cover and whether the customer needs to pay an additional premium to have their medical condition covered.
If you have any cocerns regarding the decision reached, please let us know at the contact details set out below and we will arrange for a person to check the accuracy of the result.
How can you contact us?
If you have any queries about how we use your personal data, you can contact us as follows:
- By post: Data Protection Officer, AWP Assistance Ireland Ltd, 11b Joyce Way, Park Wet Business Campus, Dublin D12 C4V6
- By telephone: 01 602 7000
- By email: AzPIEDP@allianz.com
We will need details of your name, email address, policy number and purpose of your request.
How often do we update this privacy notice?
We regularly review this privacy notice. This privacy notice was last updated in August 2022.